Guidelines for Requests to Translate Materials from APSS Journal Publications
REQUESTOR MUST FIRST RECEIVE PERMISSION FROM THE COPYRIGHT CLEARANCE CENTER FOR
ORIGINAL ENGLISH COPY OF MATERIALS BEFORE SUBMISSION IS SENT TO THE ASSOCIATED PROFESSIONAL
Permission may be granted to translate material from
SLEEP if the request meets these criteria:
- • Requests must be submitted in writing. Requests may be submitted to Publications
Department, fax (630) 737-9790, or mail 2510 North Frontage Road, Darien, IL 60561
USA Attn: Publications Department
- Requests must include the requestor’s name, address, telephone number and email
address. Incomplete requests will not be processed.
- Requests must identify the exact material to be copied or translated along with
the title of the publication, video or the Web site URL address from which the material
is taken. Page numbers and copyright dates must be included.
- Requests for electronic use will not be granted.
- The request must state exactly how the material will be used and distributed.
- Translated materials are not to be sold or used in a commercial or for profit venture.
- The material may not be altered or adapted. The material will be reproduced for
- A physician or medical expert fluent in English and the translated language must
send a letter on professional letterhead stating that he or she will review the
- After the translation has been completed, we will need another letter from the medical
expert verifying that he or she has reviewed the translation and that it is accurate.
- All translations of materials from SLEEP
must carry a statement, usually placed on the verso of the title page, in the language
of the translation that the original is in the English language and that the translation
is for reference purposes only.
- The published translation
must carry the original reference to SLEEP.
Requests to translate and distribute materials from
outside of the United States may take an additional 30 business
days to process. Because copyright laws differ by country, it may be cost prohibitive
for the AASM to grant this type of request.
If the request is granted, the following fees will be assessed:
Fees must be paid in US dollars via a check written on a US bank or via International
money order. All taxes, exchange rates and fees must be calculated so that the amount
of payment is the full amount due in US dollars.
Permission cannot be granted to:
- Translate recipes
- Translate material into variations of the English language such as Europeanize